May 26, 2010

amanda blake : artists who blog



Amanda's blog: www.amandablakeart.blogspot.com
Amanda's website: www.amandablakeart.com
Amanda's shop: www.thisisalliknow.etsy.com

Why did you decide to start a blog?

I mistakenly deleted my website and needed a quick temporary solution while I made a new site. It ended up taking me three years to finally make a new website so in that time the blog took on a bit of a life of its own.



How did you come up with the name of your blog?

Rather boring - Amanda Blake is a pretty common name so it can be difficult to claim its use and when I first made my website years ago "Amanda Blake Art" was what I chose without much thought when I couldn't simply use my own name. Years later when I really thought about it I chose "this is all i know" as my store name and name for twitter and all that other stuff, I wanted a name I could use for my shop no matter what I decided to sell and "this is all i know" will always apply, I'm always toying with the idea of just redirecting everything to "this is all i know" and abandoning the "Amanda Blake Art" name.



How has blogging affected your work as an artist/designer?

The most clear change is that having a blog led me to read other artists blogs which led me to etsy and etsy really has changed everything for me. In a more meaningful way personally the act of writing about my work and the what and why of what I do forces me to really think about more work in more depth which as a working artist it can sometimes be so frightfully easy to forget to do. Working on painting day to day it can be so tempting to just produce but to really make something good it must have thought and the blog helps to hold me responsible in that way rather than just painting mindlessly.



What are your favorite artist/designer blogs? Why?

The Small Object, Posie Gets Cosy, This Artist's Life and Angry Chicken - great writing, great art and crafts, they are all just rather perfect blogs that make me wish I really wrote enough to really consider myself a blogger.



Do you have any advice for artists/designers who are starting a blog?

Think a bit before you just jump in to it - I wish I'd thought it out more before I started so I wouldn't be stuck with a name I don't like and wish I hadn't started on blogger, I really would rather the look of a typepad or wordpress blog but at this point I don't really want to make the switch.



What has been the most positive and inspirational aspect of having a blog for you?

I've met a lot of great people through my blog and through comments left on the blog and people linking to it you get this wonderfully tangible way of seeing how your work affects people and that's really rewarding.



What do you find the most difficult/most rewarding part of having a creative profession?

I'm beyond horrid with bookkeeping, I absolutely hate it and have gone through so many different systems to try to make it work for me but just can't find a way to make it really work for me so it's always a struggle.

I couldn't really say there is any one thing that is the most rewarding - I'm so lucky to do what I do.



Other than your blog, what has been the most effective way for you to promote your art/design?

I've done plenty of things like facebook and twitter and newsletters because I feel like I'm supposed to promote but really what brings the most traffic and the most sales is when I stop thinking about promoting and just focus on making work, the more paintings I make the more chance that I'll create something that people connect with and choose to show on their own blogs which is worth so much more than any time spent trying to bring people to an empty shop.



How do you maintain a healthy work/life balance?

Still trying to figure that one out.



What would you like to accomplish by the end of 2010?

I'd like to get back to doing some large work, I miss it. And as always I'm toying with about a million different ideas of new projects I want to start, including a new blog - just need to come up with a title.

Thank you Amanda!

32 comments:

kt said...

I really enjoy Amanda's work! I also can relate to the naming of her blog, I was so excited to start a blog that I didn't realize when I choose a name that I wouldn't be able to change it later on. I like the name Amanda ended up choosing for her store seems like a perfect fit for her work.
kt.

Lori said...

Great interview. Amanda's work is beautiful and I she's right on with her opinions. I can relate to the bookkeeping part. (artists have trouble with that area). Enjoyed. Thanks! :)

Daria Hlazatova said...

thanks for this great interview and the works! i fell in love with Amanda's art!

holly aka golly said...

Great interview. Amanda's work is simply amazing. I love the fanciful world she creates in her paintings.

Kelly Schulz said...

I LOVE Amanda's dreamy style of painting. It is so beautiful! Nice interview ;)

**WE BLOG ARTISTS** said...

I adore Amanda's work...she'll be recognised for her paintings in 100 years from now.
Thanks for sharing such an amazing interview!!!
HUGS
Char

Walter Helena said...

Lovely!

stephanie levy said...

Yes, I love Amanda's art too. And I am struggling with my German income taxes this week, so I can also relate to her disliking paperwork :)

So glad you are enjoying the interviews!

gretchenmist said...

great interview + i like your point about an empty shop!
beautiful work :)

Alex said...

plz check out my blog

nina said...

thanks so much for interviewing amanda! i am an avid fan of her work, have several pieces hanging out here and there in my house. it is always wonderful to see "behind the scenes" and into a fellow artist's mind. you asked some thought provoking questions here. wonderful!

The Muse of The Day said...

I have been checking and checking your blog and today I got my prize - a fantastic interview introducing me to Amanda. I depend on all the artists you interview, they inspire me to no end. Amanda so eloquently worded the benefits of blogging as an artist. I will return to her work regularly, now, for inspiration. Thank you Stephanie

Sophie Munns said...

Delightful post Stephanie. really enjoyed Amandas work and hearing about it all.
I shal; enjoy visitng her blog!
best wishes to you - inspiring woman that you are!
Sophie

Rachael, Pistachio Press said...

This was such a great interview. I love Amanda's work and have one of her drawings in my house and gave another to a friend. I totally understand what it's like to struggle with book keeping and trying to find balance. It's especially hard to separate life from work when you do what you love!

Tina said...

I am happy to get to know Amanda's work through this post.

Diana Castillo said...

Wow is so great the art work of Amanda! and the interview was really helpful to me because I'm a fine artist too and I'm just starting to get serious with my blog :) if you want to visit it is espiritupeludo.blogspot.com ocne again thank you for the interview :)

lakhsmita indira said...

beautiful works :))

Me salen alas (si me paras los pies...) said...

Hi!! I know your site today and its lovely!!!
You have a fan from today ;D ¡¡me!!
I´ll follow your clue
Kisses from Spain.
;D

jargonheadstudios said...

Amanda's work is lovely! Thanks for sharing this frank and interesting interview.

Zaruhi Galstyan said...

Her work is beautiful, it has a very classical, dream-like feel to it, thanks for sharing!

Laura said...

thanks for sharing some amazing insight, amanda. i am truly enthralled by your work. and thank you, stephanie for featuring her:)

Lisa Hebden said...

Yet another fab interview, Stephanie!

I've been admiring this artist's work for a while now. I'll go check out her blog now.

Lisa

MONPTI said...

I HAVE DISCOVERED HER A FEW YEARS AGO AS WELL AND I AM A BIG FAN!!!AMANDA IS SO TALENTED AND UNIQUE!A TRUE FIND...THANK YOU FOR THIS POST :) HAVE A GREAT DAY!WESNA

flossy-p said...

Is there anyone who doesn't love Amanda Blake's work?!!! It's so beautiful. Great interview too, that last pic of her studio is what my dreams are made of :)

E.L.M Dyck said...

Hello! I just wanted to say how much I loved your blog! Beautifully designed too! I am so pleased to give you this 'Beautiful Blogger Award!'

Get it here: http://s13.photobucket.com/albums/a259/shatterflii/blogger/?action=view&current=beautifulbloggeraward4.jpg

My post about it here: http://synnicity.blogspot.com/2010/03/beautiful-blogger-award.html

Take care & Godbless
ELMDyck

Bethan said...

I recently discovered Artists Who Blog and just wanted to to let you know how much I enjoy the site. What a great idea! It's so inspirational reading about other people's work and how they live their "artist's life". Well Done!

melissa said...

I really like your blog! I'm a new author and have enjoyed this new experience. I find that it's the most difficult and most rewarding. I'm also a graphic designer and love having that creative outlet as well.
Thanks for your post! I will be back for more updates. :-)

Melissa Nielsen
frommysomewhatseriousmind.blogspot.com
www.printhis.biz

Pepe444 said...

Great Blog! :)

Visit my blog >> http://artmusicblog.blogspot.com/

Lori said...

Thank you Stephanie for introducing me to this lovely artist! Her work is fantastic!

Pergolina said...

L O V E the image of the studio. the pile of paints makes me smile. studios are such wonderful spaces.

DCR said...

Amanda, enjoy your lovely work.
Thanks for the interesting interview.

Quách Đại ka said...

Voucher Codesvietnam holidaysI really enjoy Amanda's work! I also can relate to the naming of her blog, I was so excited to start a blog that I didn't realize when I choose a name that I wouldn't be able to change it later on. I like the name Amanda ended up choosing for her store seems like a perfect fit for her work.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails