January 8, 2010

tamar schechner : artists who blog



Tamar's blog: www.nestdecorating.typepad.com
Tamar's website: www.nestprettythings.com
Tamar's shop: www.tamar.etsy.com



Why did you decide to start a blog?

One day I stumbled across Alicia Paulson's blog "Posie gets Cozy", I never read a blog before and new absolutely nothing about the concept, I was shocked and delighted to discover a whole world that "spoke" my language and I could relate to. Before I moved to Vermont I worked as Style Editor in a magazine, so writing and using photography were not new to me, I loved the idea of having a bit of myself out there.



How did you come up with the name of your blog?

When I moved to Vermont I thought I would become an Interior Designer, I did a lot of interiors for friends and really love it, my business is called Nest Interior Decorating, so hence the name. But Vermont is tiny and mostly rural and while waiting for clients to trickle in I started designing accessories which become my main livelihood.



How has blogging affected your work as an artist/designer?

I sometimes design something and say to myself...this would look great on the blog, but that's rare since I sink into a complete meditative state when I design, I hardly ever think of blogging, but when I take photos I try to think of the little details, the colors, the styling everything that would make the work stand out and look great in the blog.



What are your favorite artist/designer blogs? Why?

I really mostly read design blogs and food blogs but here are 3 artists I read regularly:

Geninne, I love her art journal and her style and talent
Alicia Paulson, I love the way she writes and her fun and laid back style
Nina Van de Goor, amazing sense of style and a great artist



Do you have any advice for artists/designers who are starting a blog?

I love blogs that have great photos, I think it's interesting when you get a little personal but mainly I think you should just write about what inspires YOU most, people will follow.



What has been the most positive and inspirational aspect of having a blog for you?

I love getting comments and feeling like I'm reaching out and inspiring, I get lots of emails telling me that I made a difference in someone life and that feels sooo good!!! It's very isolated working alone in the studio, blogging opened up a whole community of readers that have become like friends and I love that!



What do you find the most difficult/most rewarding part of having a creative profession?

I don't see any difficulty in being creative, it's always rewarding to me, I was always creative, it's my life.



Other than your blog, what has been the most effective way for you to promote your art/design?


I use flickr a lot too, I try to use twitter and facebook but find it a little boring...



How do you maintain a healthy work/life balance?

When we moved to Vermont four years ago from a very hectic life style in a big city all we could think about is that balance in our lives and I think we really succeeded in doing the right thing, nature is all around us here, our life pace is slower and we take time to do things in a deeper and more thoughtful way, I spend more time with the kids, I cook a lot, We love to entertain, we grow our own vegetables and generally are loving living the little village life, when we miss the city we have a choice between Montreal (great city), NYC and Boston, so life is good.



What would you like to accomplish by the end of 2010?

I hope my business grows more and more, I would love to get someone to help me a few hours a week and by the end of 2010 to be able to move my studio out of the house and get help on a daily basis, I would also love to be able to afford to travel more, I miss Europe so much!!!!



Thanks so much Tamar for sharing! Your photography and use of color are beautiful and inspiring!

28 comments:

LINDSAY said...

Tamar takes the sweetest pictures1

Floddertje said...

o love the blog's of Gennine and Nina, I guess we have the same taste in blogs, so I definitely have to check out the one by Alicia Paulson.
Thanks!

Leslie Hawes said...

What a lovely 'atmosphere' to all the art and the studio.
Wishing great success!

kt said...

great interview and wonderful photos so light and airy
kt

Betsy Head, Affordable Interior Design said...

Those soft colors are great for jewelry!

aimee said...

incredible! what a genius with styling and color!

stephanie levy said...

thank you lovelies, and yes Tamar's photos and jewelry are amazing and I agree with her taste in blogs too :)

Eliza Lynn Tobin said...

I love how bright and sunny your studio space is! (I also love hearing that you are from VT...it's my homestate and I'll always be a Vermonter at heart!)

Laura Dandaneau said...

I enjoyed reading this posting. I also just discovered your blog and thought that it was great.

Sara-Vide said...

Holy crap... What a great idea! (artistwhoblog)

衣服 said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
sinnlighet said...

....your blog, ME LIKE LIKE LIKE!

Agneta, Sweden

Amelia said...

this is really inspiring - thank you!

Amelia.x

Online Consultation said...

Tamar, You are such an inspiration for those artist that wants to express their emotions in some other means like blogging.

pixie said...

I love he studio space! Off to read her blog...

pixie said...

HER!

justagirl said...

I love the photos of her beautiful work and her space where she creates... looks so peaceful.

prashant said...

I definitely have to check out the one by Alicia Paulson.
Thanks!

Work from home India

Rooster Shamblin said...

http://roostershamblin.wordpress.com/ would you please spend a few minutes checking out my blog. I am a farmer who has been raising over 50 breeds of chickens for forty years.

Alexander Bujak said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Deirdre said...

so inspiring! thank you for sharing :)

Mack said...

I share the same views. Liked your blog very much.

Allen said...

Interesting text. You have a nice blog. Keep it up!

REBEKAH BROOKS said...

Great interview ,lots of inspiration! Thanks!

Caitlin @ Buy Backlinks said...

What a really lovely work studio! Loving the tea cups the most!

staff said...

I was discussing this article with my friends yesterday. Many modern dog owners expect a certain level of hygiene in their beloved hounds and now consider bad breath in dogs an unacceptable state of their oral health. Owners are searching for oral care products such as dog toothpaste products. These organic formulations do away with the odor and unhealthy condition of a dog's teeth and gums. VitaHound the dog health experts report on the benefits to canine health their site VitaHound.com contains several helpful articles.

staff said...

A friend tweeted this post to several colleagues and caught my interest. Social media seems to alert the masses as the pop culture idea of the moment. The humanization of pets is new and well accepted among the modern dog owner although dog breath is as undesirable as fleas. Dog owners rely on the advice provided by organizations considered experts in the field of dog health. For example www.VitaHound.com provides research on dog oral care products including Plaque Attack and Petzlife. This information helps dog owners determine the most effective formulations for eliminating bad breath in dogs.

staff said...

I decided to comment on the scope of this articles attempt to clarify several opinions. Social networking is discussing this post along with friends and colleagues. Our staff at VitaHound reviews products aimed at eliminating bad breath in dogs with an emphasis on dog health via all natural ingredients. Traditional products including dog toothpaste utilize harsh chemicals not suited for a dog's biology. The www.VitaHound.com site offers expert advice on cleaning dog's teeth minus the possible harmful substances formulated in many dog teeth cleaning treatments.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails